Finishing BBG Kayla Itsine’s Bikini Body Guide
Last week I finished the Bikini Body Guide 12 week workout program from Kayla Itsines.
It feels bizarre to even write that. My entire life I was the girl who couldn’t keep to a workout schedule for more than two weeks.
Like a lot of girls, I’m not satisfied with my body. I grew up clinically overweight, I think at one point I was in the 90th percentile. Even in first grade I was aware of my weight and appearance. When I became a teenager I realized I could do something about it. But I had no idea what. I figured, like I think a lot of young girls, that losing weight means salads, not eating, and sit ups. When I got to college I started lifting weights, running, and got in the best shape of my life. But still wasn’t satisfied. I kept trying P90X but falling off the wagon about 15 days in.
Last year, living in Gangnam, I heard a lot about eating one meal a day, juice cleansing, and fasting. You know, the stuff doctors tell you not to do. I was going to the Philippines in the summer, and I wanted to look good. I made a psychotic plan for summer. Kick off with a three day Beyonce lemon water fast, then a three day juice fast, then eat one meal a day and workout for the next three months until the Philippines. Psychotic and stupid, but I thought it would do the job, and to be honest, it kind of did. I got to the Philippines looking slimmer than usual, and feeling confident in my photos. I told myself and my friends even if I ruined my metabolism and gained weight after it was worth it for the photos that would last forever.
Hmmm… Not sure if I still agree with that.
I GAINED WEIGHT. Let me tell you something. Before my psycho plan I did an InBody, and before leaving for Cebu I did another. I lost 2 kilograms of MUSCLE and ZERO POINT TWO 0.2 kilograms of fat. O_______O
Let that sink in. About 4 pounds of pure muscle lost, and not even a pound of fat lost.
I made a promise to myself to never go on a diet again. EVER. From now on, if I want to get in shape, I need to work out and eat healthy. No more restriction.
I tried BBG several times after the Philippines, but couldn’t even finish the two weeks of pre-training. Then just about a month before my contract ended, I found out that my coworker was doing BBG. She was on week 16, and she had ABS.
No more excuses. If someone with the same exact job as me can find time, so can I.
I started with the two weeks of pre-training, and could BARELY complete them. I was so weak, I had no muscle whatsoever. Just step ups on a bench were exhausting. But I kept going.
There are several reasons that BBG is amazing that helped me finish my first workout program ever:
- The workouts are fast-paced and in very short segments.
- You’ll never want to slow down because you only have 7 minutes per circuit.
- You’ll definitely feel your heart racing and muscles aching, which will tell you it’s working.
- Every month you have two weeks of new circuits and then they repeat the following two weeks, so you can very tangibly feel and see your progress even in the short-term.
- The program is very flexible. Every workout has a minimum and maximum number, and some workouts are optional, so it’s so much easier to fit into your schedule. The hardest part for me in the past was falling behind a workout or two or three, and then getting so stressed and behind that I would just fall off.
- A lot of the workouts you can do from home. I didn’t get a gym membership until maybe week 8.
- There is so little repetition so you never get bored, and when there is repetition there’s enough time in between for you to make progress, which is the best motivation.
- It’s relatively relaxed compared to something like P90X. Do any cardio you like, do circuits just 3 times a week. Stretch.
- THE WORKOUTS ARE SHORT. 35 minutes and I’m done. YAAAAAAAAAAAAS.
I have never liked working out in my entire life. I have hated working out. Weights bore the crap out of me. Treadmill running and stair climbing is torture after weights. But for the first time in my life, I can say that I feel excited when I go to workout on BBG. Because I know that I’ll see progress every single day, or try completely new things that I would never have attempted before.
Because I started with so little muscle and so much fat, I don’t have a perfect body yet. But my strength and ability has increased 800%.
When I started on pre-training day 1, I couldn’t do 1 pushup. I know, not even 1. Knee pushups were even hard. Now I can do 8 pretty pushups without breaks, 15 with breaks, and then repeat the set.
When I started I could barely do step ups and lunges, now I can breeze through them with 3kg weights in each hand.
When I started I was too scared to jump onto the bench, now I can do all kinds of jumps onto the benches again and again.
When I started one commando seemed impossible. Now I can do 18 on each side.
When I started I could barely jog, at all. Two weeks ago I ran my first 10K.
I MEAN COME ON GUYS THIS IS AWESOME.
I’m not ready for BBG2 yet. I need to improve my form and up my strength even more. I’ve started BBG1 round 2. But this time, since working out consistently is easy for me, I’ve decided to add meal prepping as my new focus. I’m using the BBG meal plans to guide my meals. Not to diet or restrict, but to see what a balanced healthy meal looks and feels like. In two weeks I’ll run my second 10K.
Who is this person working out consistently?! I haven’t missed a single workout for 15 weeks. WHAT?!
TRUST ME. If I can do it, and I still feel like I can’t do it but I’m doing it, you can do it too. 🙂
If you want to buy the workout plan too, you can get it here. It’s so much fun, you won’t regret it!