Seoul Street Style: Gangnam, Fall 2017
“I’m a guy
A guy who is as warm as you during the day
A guy who one-shots his coffee before it even cools down
A guy whose heart bursts when night comes
That kind of guy.”
-Psy, “Gangnam Style”
The one phrase internationally associated with modern South Korea – “Gangnam style.”
But what does Gangnam style even mean?
Gangnam is actually a stylish district in Seoul, filled with posh clubs, trendy restaurants, brand name stores, and expensive boutiques. Think of it as Weezer’s “Beverly Hills,” only… Korean.
Every time I go to Gangnam I’m reminded how different it is from the rest of Seoul. The whole district is virtually a fashion show for Korea’s young and gorgeous. So when my business cards came in the mail this week, I decided to strap on my DSLR, pocket my cards, and get on the subway to Gangnam Station for a “Seoul Street Style: Gangnam, Fall 2017” Exposé.
I’ve always wanted to shoot street style, but it was so nerve-wracking approaching strangers and asking for their photos! I want to give a HUUUGE thank you to all the models that were gracious and kind enough to let me take their photos. Without further ado, enjoy! 😀
Seoul Street Style: Gangnam, Fall 2017
1) This season these coats are EVERYWHERE and I’m determined to get one ASAP. Her style is particularly Gangnam in that it looks like she’s straight from a K-pop music video with her long curled hair, velvet heart choker, and large black pumps. There are girls wearing K-pop fashion all over Korea, but girls in Gangnam pull it off particularly well, and I think she did an amazing job.
2) This is a classic Gangnam style man. Very dandy. Black loafers, grey tweed sweater over a collar shirt, and pinstripe pants. All dark neutrals, and softly permed hair. Maybe he drinks his coffee in one shot, too, just like the song? 😄
3) I love Korean casual wear. Although she’s in a sweatshirt, leggings, and sneakers, she’s probably the most high fashion of the bunch. Look at those hood strings! And her perfectly coordinated color scheme. I don’t think I need to point out the Yeezy’s – Those Yeezy’s resell for SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS $600.00! What?! Now that’s Gangnam style.
4) This is an example of the alternative fashion in Seoul. The majority of girls go for a feminine, classy, conservative look, but this more urban look is also pretty common and I LOVE IT. I swear she could be in a music video yesterday. Red lips, heavy eyeliner, hoop earrings, and Adidas fanny pack? YES YES YES.
5) This girl was alright with shooting her outfit but not her face. I would have moved on, but I LOVE her outfit because it’s exemplary of so many Seoul fashion trends. First, berets are KILLING IT this season and I really need one. Next, coats have been getting longer and longer and I think it looks very classy. Those boxy bags are supreme, and florals are everywhere. I’ve always found it curious how sneakers find their way into every kind of outfit in Korea. At first I didn’t like it, but it’s grown on me over the years. Last but not least, her big ribboned phone case is very, very Korean. You can find those cases in Every part of Seoul, and although I’m too old for them, I think they’re so cute! Very Sailor Moon.
6) As I mentioned, most girls in Korea go for a feminine, classy, conservative look like this. Literally 80% of the girls in the station were wearing an outfit similar to this which made shooting for this post a lot harder than I expected. Actually, now that I look closely I very nearly have everything she’s wearing, myself. I adore this feminine look, and I think she pulls it off with a sense of old-fashioned innocence and whimsy.
7) Taking photos of strangers was really nerve-wracking and exhausting since it was my first time. For my last picture I copped out and shot Kwon. But I think he’s pretty fashionable anyway! With a checked coat, burgundy tweed sweater, and navy Timberlands, why not! He fits right in in Gangnam. 😂
I love Korean fashion so much, and every district in Seoul has its own unique style. What do you think of their outfits? Let me know in the comments down below!
See you next week.
Stay strong and fabulous. 😘